View Single Post
Old 09-26-2016, 12:25 PM
Sewnoma

I bought mine on eBay for about $200, it's got a lot of use-marks, but no abuse-marks. I specifically wanted one that showed some wear because I knew I'd be paranoid about using one in pristine condition and I also think that a well-worn (but not abused) machine sews better than one that was rarely used. So that might be a consideration - will you actually USE it, if it's perfect?

I keep mine boxed up in its case - I never use it at home. Instead, it's ready to go out the door with me! A FW fits on an ironing board very well and is light enough not to collapse it on you - I'm really good at setting up a sewing station in a hotel room these days! I'm not quite brave enough to risk it on a plane, though. (I travel for work several times a year and LOVE having my FW waiting for me in my room. Makes me feel at home!)

Really...if you want it and can afford it, why not? I think in "entertainment worth" - will you get $200 or $300 worth of entertainment out of the machine? If yes - go for it! If not...well, maybe you keep it a year and then sell it for about what you paid for it...would you get enough entertainment out of it to make THAT worth while?

If you do buy it, go get yourself an LED bulb for it right away. I postponed and gave myself a lovely little brand on the back of my hand before I made the switch!