View Single Post
Old 09-30-2016, 08:43 PM
csstexas

I love Quilt Festival and live close enough that I go every year. My daughter and son-in-law live in Houston so I am able to stay with them. I recommend you go and stay as long as you can. I am never ready for it to end, although sometimes I wear out and have to rest. Do spend some time on quilts.com and learn what you can about the show from there. Look for Meet the Teachers which is a place in the quilt display area where various teachers give presentations for free. They are usually selling something but it can give you a chance to see a little about a product or technique with no obligation. Craftsy usually has a booth with free demos on a variety of topics to consider too. Many of the vendors are demonstrating their products.

The exhibits and the judged show are wonderful and I can spend a long time on that side of the convention center. Vendors and their booths are separated from those displays.

One of my favorite things is to go on Wed which is preview night. They normally have the biggest prize winning quilts on display at the front end of the rows toward the south of the building. Many of the winning quilt artists are there with their quilts, excited to have been awarded such an honor, and are glad to answer questions and talk about their quilts. I enjoy their enthusiasm and a peek into their techniques, materials, and thought processes. If you get a chance, go that night try it.

Let us know what you think when you get home. I am excited for you!