View Single Post
Old 10-02-2016, 10:32 AM
NikkiLu

What a wonderful thing that you are doing! My town, about 15,000 population, in rural Missouri, has a store simply named "The Free Store" and everything in it is free. Yes, FREE. The churches in town (many) decided there was a great need to help the homeless or very poor. So, most of the churches donate some money every month (I heard it was $25.00 - but not sure) to rent a building and pay for the utilities. The community donates their items - garage sale leftovers, etc. to this "store" and anybody can come in and get the stuff for free. My affluent daughter used to have garage sales, now she takes everything to the Free Store. I became acquainted with a family who were living in their car - with a little help from the Veterans, welfare, etc. they found a little house and was able to "start over" with things from the Free Store. They got used furniture, pots and pans, dishes, sheets, etc. Sadly, they were not able to keep up with their rent and utilities because the father could not keep a job (I think alcohol was his problem) so they left here with whatever they could fit in their car but she had the Free Store to come to her house and take back all of the stuff so that others could use it.