Thread: Homemade Yogurt
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 10:26 AM
BellaBoo
Power Poster

If you have a way to keep the temp of the yogurt at 100º for 8 hours or more then you can make yogurt. I have a table top oven/toaster that keeps this temp and I make yogurt by the quart jar. It's so creamy. The secret is getting the milk to the proper temp but not over it, and having the proper temp before adding the starter. I use this recipe:

Basic Yogurt Recipe

4 cups (1 quart) milk - whole, 2 %, 1% or skim
1/4 - 1/2 cup instant non-fat dry milk powder
1/2 cup plain yogurt (with live cultures) or yogurt from a previous batch

In a saucepan, combine milk and dry milk and heat over medium heat, stirring frequently to just below the boiling point. Don't boil. Remove the milk from heat and allow to cool until lukewarm (about 100 degrees). If milk is over 100º the starter will die. To cool the milk quickly, place the saucepan into the refrigerator or a sink of cold water, stirring occasionally to cool evenly.

Add plain yogurt to the warm milk, stirring gently to blend. Do not beat or whip. Pour the mixture into the yogurt container, secure the lid and place the covered container into a 100º oven for 4-10 hours, depending on tartness desired. Yogurt should be partially set after processing and will thicken further after refrigeration.

After incubation place the container in the refrigerator and chill at least two hours to thicken. If desired, remove 1/2 cup of the yogurt to use as a starter for future batches, before adding any fruit or flavoring. Keep yogurt refrigerated until use.

I make mine in a quart mason jars.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-66524.jpe