View Single Post
Old 10-08-2016, 03:30 AM
quilterpurpledog

Yes, you do need a list of features that you want in a machine. That is the first important step. The second is to gather together a group of fabrics that you like to use-take a variety from quilting cottons, flannels, and whatever else you might do. (I like to sew with silk, wool, etc.) Take some samples of quilt sandwiches and take different threads that you would be likely to use. I recommend that you go to dealers that specialize in specific brands. Sit with them and run your tests under their supervision. Visit several dealers. I feel that dealers who have a variety of brands and sales people who just want to sell you a machine aren't knowledgeable enough to help you buy the best machine for your needs. Keep and mark your samples carefully. Then, make your decision. Don't buy more machine features than you would use. I am a BERNINA girl but I would never buy the embroidery module because I don't want to invest in all that thread, stabilizers and software. Some people love that and it is a good investment for them. Good luck in your search.