Thread: Poncho?
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2016, 06:24 AM
Manalto

I guess people think a pattern is necessary.

Ponchos for dogs isn't such a bad idea, either. When the weather's bad, my two spoiled beasts lag behind and stand at the end of the driveway, as if to say, "You've gotta be kidding; we're going back inside." Maybe some weather protection would help coax them out.

I wear a 36" sleeve-length dress shirt so, calling upon my abilities with higher math, I have determined a good width for a poncho would be 72" (finished), so railroading the fabric will be required.

elnan, I like the idea of making it reversible so it will be useful in a wider range of temperatures. What was your reason for suggesting it? I would like it to shed rain, but can't think a material that's both waterproof and would make a comfortable lining. (The whole point of this poncho is convenience - to throw it on quickly over a tee shirt, rather than putting on a shirt, sweater or jacket and then removing it five minutes later.)

Lastly, what's the difference between a cape and a poncho? A poncho has a hole cut for the head and a cape is split up the front? A cape is pretentious and a poncho is utilitarian? No difference, really?

James

Last edited by Manalto; 10-08-2016 at 06:26 AM.