Thread: Poncho?
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2016, 07:24 AM
elnan

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
I guess people think a pattern is necessary.

Ponchos for dogs isn't such a bad idea, either. When the weather's bad, my two spoiled beasts lag behind and stand at the end of the driveway, as if to say, "You've gotta be kidding; we're going back inside." Maybe some weather protection would help coax them out.

elnan, I like the idea of making it reversible so it will be useful in a wider range of temperatures. What was your reason for suggesting it? I would like it to shed rain, but can't think a material that's both waterproof and would make a comfortable lining. (The whole point of this poncho is convenience - to throw it on quickly over a tee shirt, rather than putting on a shirt, sweater or jacket and then removing it five minutes later.)
James
I've always done better with a paper pattern, rather than trying to "wing it". The more i think about reversible winter gear, the more I think it is not such a good idea, like exercise in a plastic bag, which it would feel like with the water repellant side against the body. You have already thought that part out.

As for doggie duds, I've seen many dogs wearing toddler sweaters in the winter. I learned the hard way that not all dogs will tolerate wearing clothing. The pattern companies do produce a dog coat pattern that looks similar to a saddle blanket, about the same shape as a sewing machine cover.

I googled "4-H sew a poncho" and got good information, including a 3 pg. pdf for a poncho that reminds me of the gaucho look. The title says "Retro" 4-H Poncho Pattern. It uses two rectangles of fabric. You could skip the first page and get by with just pgs. 2 & 3.