View Single Post
Old 10-08-2016, 04:34 PM
Peckish

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I use Best Press rather than starch (which I understand doesn't make fabric as stiff as starch). I spray and press throughout the piecing process. This will sometimes result in sprayed yardage going back on the shelf (if I've pressed more than I use), which doesn't concern me with Best Press; but I would be concerned with having starched yardage sitting on the shelf, in case it should attract bugs.
Just FYI. Best Press IS starch. I know the label says "starch alternative" but that doesn't mean it's NOT starch - that term is a marketing technique meaning it's an alternative to the traditional grocery-store starches, such as Niagra and Sta-Flo.

If you look at the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) for Best Press, you will see it is listed as a starch. It is clarified, scented, and has an added surfactant to help it absorb into the fabric faster.

I have nothing against Best Press, I like it, I just want people to be aware of what they're actually purchasing.

I've found that I actually prefer the non-aerosol Niagra spray. It's cheaper and is available at the local grocery store, which is nice when I'm on a roll at 10 pm and run out. And my family, especially both of my teenage sons, love the scent.