View Single Post
Old 10-08-2016, 09:28 PM
Jeanette Frantz

I think everything that has been posted is very good. I don't do commissioned work (unless you count my sisters). I have a Log Cabin Quilt that my youngest sister has commissioned (she pays for the fabric and supplies, and I do the work for her -- my price -- she's a teriffic sister, and I'd gladly make the quilt and give it to her including all the fabric, etc., if I could afford it. I can't afford it and she knows it, so she'd never ask me to make it -- I offered to make it for her if she pays for the fabric (which she has done). I've only made a few quilts and I don't make them to sell, so I really don't have much to add. Except this: my husband was a cabinet maker -- he did custom kitchen cabinets, bathroom vanities, and yes, even some furniture. If you're building something, or sewing something, (i.e., a quilt), you've got to have the full cost of your materials up front. Otherwise, someone's going to find something to grouch about and refuse to pay. I've seen it happen too many times! And, so many times, people have asked him to build something and they wanted to pay less than his material cost -- it's not a good business plan! I have finished a quilt top I made for myself and I know what I spent, just for the fabric for the quilt top (this is a huge quilt 130" X 114". I spent $300 in fabric, plus I've purchased thread, batting, backing, and who knows what the final cost on this one will be. Since it's for myself, I don't care. Even chain piecing, a Log Cabin Quilt takes a LOT of work! They do make beautiful quilts though!