Old 10-12-2016, 11:21 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janan View Post
Thanks Wonnie! I used Warm and White. I hope it will be good for hand quilting?????
This will be harder to hand quilt because of the scrim, but not impossible. There are other battings that are easier to hand quilt. You *really* need to make a small practice sandwich to hand quilt, as this will teach you a lot about ease/difficulty, thread tangles, needle and thimble, etc.

Also, I just want to mention that machine quilting is also perfectly acceptable on a quilt like this. You may not want to rule it out so early.

Edit: If you really want to hand quilt this as an heirloom, I would recommend switching to Hobbs wool batting. It is much easier to quilt and is considered an heirloom quality batting. Its only downside is that it is a little more expensive than cotton. The first quilt I ever hand quilted was 100% cotton (Mountain Mist blue ribbon batting), and I remember the difficulty I had with it. Cotton creates much more drag on the needle than wool, and scrim increases that drag. To be honest, at my age, I would hand quilt only with wool or silk batting now.

Last edited by Prism99; 10-12-2016 at 11:27 AM.