Thread: Vegetable Soup
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 06:34 PM
weezie

I believe my favorite meal is homemade soup with fresh bakery bread, real butter and quality cheese. So, I make big pots of soup, usually beef-veggie, chicken or turkey veggie, bean or split pea soup and after dining on fresh soup, I fill up tall 3-cup Zip-Loc plastic containers with leftover soup. These containers have easy twist-off tops, stack well, and one containerful holds 2 ample servings for me and old Whatzisname that I'm married to. Because I'm a very picky eater and he is a diabetic, which affects what and when he eats, much of the time we fend for ourselves at meal times. However, we often share a container of soup from the freezer. I heat it up on the burner's lowest heat, just to the boiling point. It's always scrumptious and not just a seasonal thing at our house.

Big chunks of potatoes (as in beef stew) do not freeze well ... they become grainy. However, I put small cubes of potatoes in my veggie soups and they are no problem at all. I love home-made potato soup, but have not made any in years (because of the diabetic) and I think it probably would not freeze well; I really don't know ... never tried it.