View Single Post
Old 01-31-2010, 07:16 PM
weezie

I probably should know this, but don't read the General Chit-Chat section much. I'm assuming you are in Hawaii? Oahu? Pearl Harbor area maybe?

We lived in Hawaii from end-July 1968 to end-May 1971. The first year for me was all about trying to breathe ... the lush growth of all things green and floral gave my allergies fits. That year we lived high on a hill (Aiea Heights) overlooking Pearl Harbor; I had no neighbors except one crackpot woman who talked non-stop, so there was never any need for me to respond (or even bother listening). It was a nightmare!

The next year we lived near Hickam AFB (right next to busy Dillingham Blvd. that goes into Honolulu) in a poorly made apartment complex, erected specifically to house USAF dependents. Most of the horrid women there spent their time gossiping about each other. It was a nightmare!

The 3rd year we lived in an old house on Hickam AFB, where all the neighbor women had day jobs except me; so essentially for 3 years, my only companions 5 days a week were my 2 small daughters and we did very well entertaining each other. For much of the first 2 years of her life, my youngest was chronically ill ... every time I took her to the base clinic she would see the same quack who said she was NOT sick. Finally her dad took her and insisted on seeing another, i.e, a real doctor and the child was then diagnosed as having severe anaemia and pneumonia in both lungs, whereupon she received proper medication and got well quickly.

And finally, we had a chance to extend our tour of duty there for 1 more year ... want to guess if we accepted????? Huh? Do ya?? Want to hear about the giant sized Samoans who lived right behind us on Aiea Heights and got drunk and violent regularly? If I could remember everything, I could write a book.