View Single Post
Old 10-16-2016, 09:26 AM
rryder

Default New (to me) Kenmore 1914!

Hey all,
A while ago I posted a question about vintage machines that might work for me in my art quilting. I got lots of very thoughtful responses, which was incredibly helpful since I didn't know that some cam machines decorative stitches don't have stretch capability. I just wanted to let everyone know that I ended up with a Kenmore 158.19141 with all it's original feet and cams. I've been playing with it all weekend and am having so much fun.

In addition to doing all those nifty decorative stitches I have used it to put a rattail binding on a piece that had lots of lumps and bumps from fabric layers and padding---no problem. In the past I've had to fight with my machines to do this kind of binding, often resorting to laying paper under the piece and the rattail in order to get it to feed properly. That meant lots of removing of little bits of paper from the zigzag stitches used to hold on the binding which took hours. Today when I bound a small art quilt for a charity auction I was able to get it done without the paper, no headaches, perfect feed, beautiful zigzag stitching etc.

Wow! Thanks everyone for taking the time to consult.

Rob