Old 10-16-2016, 04:07 PM
Eddie

Default The "Blackbirds in My Winter Garden" quilt

Here are some pics of one of my quilts that I finished in 2012 after I fell off the radar here back in 2011. I had actually posted a couple of pics of some of the blocks in progress back then so it may look familiar to some of you. The main portion of this quilt (the 9 center blocks) is based on the pattern called "Winter Garden" by Blackbird Designs from their "When The Cold Wind Blows" book.

I wanted my version to be larger so I added the border which is based on the "Autumn Thistle" pattern from the same book. But I took some liberties with that pattern and added berries and blackbirds to the border, thus their "Winter Garden" became my "Blackbirds In My Winter Garden". I like the blackbirds, the black of them adds a nice pop of color to an otherwise neutral quilt. I made some of them in flight, some turned to look at other birds behind them, to give it some interest. I also added the "2012" to the bottom to personalize it and make it more my own. I then quilted it on my Gammill longarm. It's king size at 102" square. This quilt won 2nd place in my county guild's quilt show in 2014.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]560377[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]560378[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails winter_garden_1.jpg   dsc_0853.jpg  

Last edited by Eddie; 10-16-2016 at 04:10 PM.