View Single Post
Old 10-17-2016, 07:19 AM
Bree123

I agree with Charlotte that it really depends on whether she has any sewing experience. If not, I would definitely stick to a small project (not sure of her age -- if young, maybe a pillow; if adult, placemats or a table runner).

The other thing that I really struggle with as a beginner was precision cutting. I had already been sewing for a while & the 1/4" seams were easy enough, but figuring out how to use a ruler & rotary cutter was a massive challenge. I didn't realize that fact that some of the lines on my ruler were thicker when used one direction vs the other would throw everything off so much. I just started zooming away with strip cutting & strip piecing, and next thing I knew my Irish Chain was a massive disaster. I sorta forced it together, but it was frustrating for me to have all those intersections to fiddle with -- even after having sewn for 25 years and done some minimal piecing on previous (applique-heavy) quilts. Ironically, my first quilt had better points & intersections ... but it was a laser-cut kit from JAF so I started out with properly sized pieces to sew. There is definitely some skill involved in using a rotary cutter & the right ruler can make all the difference.

My first "quilt" was a table runner sampler. I liked that because I got to learn different techniques.