Old 10-17-2016, 01:29 PM
letawellman

Default How would you even Begin to organize your stash?

Hi everyone!

Well, I'm in the UFO Challenge group, and that has definitely gotten me to looking at what I have "on hand".
Egads, the fabric!!!

So, while I have not usually been a "scrappy person" in the past, with last year's Moda blocks (I forget what they called them), and the "Frivols", and various other things that have piqued my scrappy interest, I've decided that I need to finally begin to make use of the TONS of scraps, and those "just GOTTA have that!" purchases. (Don't look at me in that tone of voice - I KNOW you've bought some "too pretty to pass by" fabric!!)

My question now is, "how do you even BEGIN?"
I've browsed Bonnie Hunter's site some (skimmed might be a better word), and I'd love some feedback from everyone on what they found to work for them. Do I keep some of the larger pieces? Do I trim it all to homemade "layer cakes" and "Jelly rolls"? Do I start by determining how big a piece of fabric is? (if I do that, nothing will ever get accomplished!!) Or do I just reach into the scrap bags/totes/sacks and start wearing out an AccuQuilt cutting mat?

And once I get started on making my scraps manageable, what has everyone found to be the best method of organizing? by color? by cut?

And what about my leaders and enders? I don't really have "true" leaders and enders, as my machine would snarl worse with these when I power off/power on. I'm just talking about those "bonus" HST's that are the result of whacking off the ears of creating flying geese, snowball blocks and so on. So, not really leaders and enders, but.. how do I go about organizing these so that they do eventually get used someday?

And while Bonnie is obviously the "Queen" of scraps, is there anyone else who is at least a "scrap Princess". I like to see other people's methods of doing stuff, until I find what is "just right" for me. At this point, I don't think Bonnie really resonates with my style of chaos - which in no way is intended as criticism - her method just does not give me that "aha!" moment... although I DID use her pineapple pattern (and loved it!!).

Any help would be appreciated... especially if you come to my house and help!!