Old 10-17-2016, 01:39 PM
Altairss

For me I have been using a lot of the patterns on Sewing is more fun then houseworks site
http://quiltingismorefunthanhousewor...t-gallery.html

She tends to pick out specific colorways that more closely appeals to my color sense and balance. I started small as I began to organize and took one box at a time. I bought comic boards and put anything 3/4 yard or bigger on them and put them on shelves like books. Sorted all of my fat quarters and half yard cuts and folded them all and put them on end in small short totes so only one level and I can quickly spot what I am looking for. Scraps I have not yet sorted by color but will some days in one tote I have all strings and strips in another I have bigger chunks. I don't really cut them up into size as I do not know what I want them for.
The small totes I use for these are 12x12 and about 5 inches tall and clear so I can see into them. I have been working on this for a few months just a bit at a time and its really working. The last four quilts I made all came from what I had on hand and I shop my shelves just like a store.