View Single Post
Old 10-20-2016, 07:36 PM
love to sew

I have not used my serger for quilting although one of the stores here does have a class to make a quilt using a serger. That being said I use my serger all the time for making childrens clothes for a charity. I've been sewing for this charity for more that 22 yrs. The first serger I bought was a babylock 25yrs ago. At a sewing retreat put on ASG (Arizona Sewing Guild) the lady behind me had a newer Babylock with the air threading and she "sold" me. It was so amazing and easy!!! I didn't want to pay the price of a new one and went on Ebay and found one for $600 it was the Imagine model at the time about half price of a new one, I think about 8-10 years ago. I was nervous buying it used, oh what if it doesn't work I would be out all that money. But it was perfect. BUT then I wanted a machine that did the cover stitch (explained in an previous post) So... I go on estatesales.net and I always look to see if there is a sewing machine in the pictures if there is and it is convienent for me to stop by I do. Ususally there will be notions or material and sometimes I get lucky and find something that I can use. Well, I got really lucky and found a Babylock Evolve. I wasn't able to try it at the sale but I bought it anyway for $300! I took it for a free class at the store that sells them here and it was missing a little piece that is need to change it to do the cover stitich (my heart sank) but to my surprise it was only $12 yippee! and I love it. And because I have the Imagine which does everything I need which includes a foot to gather and seam at the same time (which I love to use to add a ruffle to the skirt or dress) I keep the Evolve set up in the cover stitch mode. I absolutely love both machines and the air threader I could not do with out! I have heard others say oh but what if I get the air threader ports clogged up... I think that is just an excuse someone will give you to sell you another machine. I have not had one single problem with these machines and I did not even buy them new. What is so cool too is they come with a quick reference guide to change the settings to do different types of seams and it could be any easier, really! I really should sell these machines!!! And a serger is necessary for sewing garments to give a professional finish. You can check out other serger but I wouldn't waste your time.