Old 10-22-2016, 04:41 AM
givio

SBG, I'd be honored to have the picture in your Pinterest board. :-) Yes, exactly right on the squares and HSTs measurements. The blocks look best with light and dark, or a very good contrast between two different colors. Multicolored large prints don't seem to work so good. The border is sewn the same way as the blocks, but using light, dark, and medium (the blue). I like how the border turned out too, using scrappy blues.

You need quite a large chunk of scrap, if you do it with scraps. But the pattern is very fat quarter friendly-- you can make three blocks using one light and one dark fat quarter. (Cut the 2 7/8" strips from the 18" side of the FQ, then cut one 4 1/2" strip, then cut a 5" strip, and from the 5" strip cut the remaining 4 1/2" squares and your scrap squares. I think I'm remembering correctly, it's been some time since I cut. Definitely cut the strips from the smaller dimension of the FQ.) The leftover piece yields very little, I think I cut one 5" charm and a couple of 2 1/2" candies with it to use it up. Or, you can use those bits to make the HSTs for the border, if you want to make a border like I did. You can use two WOF 1/4 yards economically too, to make 3 blocks.

You girls all might like to try it! It's a quick, easy, fun pattern! I really enjoyed it. If you like to swap, Jane is still hosting the Hunter's Star swap. She indicates she will do it as long as there are 8 people interested each month. She prefers every block different in the set of 6 blocks-- which is different than her past swaps, where I could send 6 identical blocks per set. If you are cutting and sewing two blocks of the same prints, then being in the swap helps if you want all different blocks, because you can trade one and keep one. I have some of the same blocks in the quilt because I was making them in groups of three. Also, I think some of my name stickers may have fallen off during her swapping because I got some of my own blocks back. Some girls sewed on a little paper name sticker, and I think I'll do that too next time. I got quite a few blocks that were a color with the other side white, which I've sewn together for a different quilt because I didn't want a lot of white in mine.

Last edited by givio; 10-22-2016 at 04:58 AM.