Old 10-26-2016, 12:30 PM
rryder

ever since I started using my cutting table for basting I don't mind sandwiching my quilts at all.

I drape the back over the table, smooth it out, put the batting on it, smooth that out and then put the top on smoothing it out. I don't bother clamping. Then I pin baste, once the section that's on the table is pin basted, I slide it off the table and start on the new section. I check to make sure that the backing, batting and top are still nice and smooth and then baste away. I've never had problems with tucks, etc. when using this method and I've done queen sized quilts this way. It's a lot easier on the back than getting down on the floor.

Occasionally I will spray baste (for that I usually pin the backing to my design wall, spray it, smooth on the batting, spray it and then smooth on the top. But I've found that sometimes the top will still move more than I like if it's a large quilt, so I often will then put some pins in it to make sure it doesn't move.

And sometimes I'll use a fusible batting--if it's only fusible on one side then I iron the backing to it and pin baste the top to the batting.

Rob