View Single Post
Old 10-27-2016, 12:24 PM
Fabric Galore

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
I use the Thimblelady hand quilting method, as described in the book 'Perfect Hand Quilting without Pain.' It's similar to the traditional stitch, but eliminates the stress on wrist and fingers, and doesn't require pricking the finger under the quilt. I have short arms, so I use a 12" hoop; I sit at the table and rest the hoop on the edge of the table. Best wishes to you in your new endeavor!
I'm so glad I read this because I am trying to hand quilt a queen size quilt for my grandson. I saw the Thimblelady on TV a few years ago but I couldn't remember her name. I just remembered the thimble and the needle. I have gone to Thimblelady's website to order the beginning kit and I am excited to think I can make smaller stitches and in less time than my method. I currently use a metal thimble on the middle finger of my right hand and a plastic thimble that looks like a guitar pick on the pointer finger of my left hand. I don't poke my finger but I have a hard time keeping my stitches even and I can only quilt for about an hour. I have arthritis in both on my thumbs and they get tired easily. I have a large floor frame but I don't care for it because my arms are short and it puts a strain on my neck and shoulders. I quilt a hand basted quilt without a frame and I have the quilt resting on a table.