View Single Post
Old 10-28-2016, 03:33 AM
Stitchnripper
Power Poster

I like to hand quilt in addition to machine quilting. I can't get the hang of the Aunt Becky yet. I do make the quilt loose in the frame, but, still need practice. I use the basic hand quilting technique I learned in a class about 10 years ago. I think once you find a system that is comfortable for you, then it just takes a lot of practice. I can tell my stitches start out bigger on a project, and then settle into a nice small size. I just leave those few bigger stitches in and they blend in. I use small needles and usually the hand quilting thread that has the coating on it. I have used all kinds of hoops, standing round, square pvc type, big round ones, and last quilt I used a small embroidery hoop. I have also tried without a hoop but for me I wasn't as comfortable. I like the thimble that has a tiny lip on the end to catch the needle. I don't use anything on the bottom finger. I don't have a callous on it, so I guess my method is okay. I can only hand quilt in one direction, away from me. I watched Alex Anderson demo how she quilts with her thumb instead of her middle finger. I can't master that! Anyway, try lots of things til you find the one that works best for you and let us know what that is!!