View Single Post
Old 10-29-2016, 09:02 AM
BettyGee

Default How To Repair An Old Friend

My neighbor, who is a paraplegic, asked me to repair a flannel quilt that he uses in the winter. It has seen many many winters and has been washed many times. I've never worked with flannel in a quilt, that's my first stumbling block. The pattern is a Lone Star, which is still beautiful even though it is showing its age. The portion of the quilt that needs repair are the seams that form the points of the star. The fabric has worn through and pulled away leaving a frayed edge.

I have thought of making new pieces to replace the worn one and then appliqueing them to the quilt. I will try to keep the colors the same and not make it obvious that there has been repair work done, however I don't see how it is possible to not have evidence of repair. This is a utilitarian quilt, not for a show or display, but I still want it to look as close to its original beauty as I can.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to proceed? We've had an unusually warm October, but the cold is coming so I need to get this done. My DH says "..just sew over it." He means well, but that is not a solution. Many thanks to any ideas.