Old 11-02-2016, 05:24 PM
zozee

Default Reacher Tool: Not just for Elderly or Disabled!

I'm neither elderly nor disabled, but I cannot easily get down on the floor nor get back up without a bunch of --what shall we call it?--drama. Creaky knees, a temperamental back, "junk in my trunk".

Several years ago I had abdominal surgery and my son's mother-in-law, who is an occupational therapist, brought me a reacher for my recovery. It was perfect for picking up things off the floor when I dropped them. It came in handy for a lot of things at the time, but then I put it away for years.

Until today. I needed to adjust the valances in my sewing/guest room. My sister is coming to town on Friday and this will be her overnight space. Let's just say it's had more of the sewing look than the guesting in its appearance of late.

Enter the reacher. It was perfect for getting those tab top valances just so. Then I started picking up things with it that were under my sewing desk. Oh, my goodness! Why hadn't I thought of this before! From the comfort of the edge of the bed, I managed to pick up things with that reacher that I never would have thought it could handle. Pins out of the carpet. Bobbins. A spray bottle half full of starch. Spool caps. Shoes! I was so impressed with its "dexterity" with just a squeeze of the "trigger". I picked up trash and plunked it into the can without getting up! Truly a tool for not the disabled only, but also the lazy!!

Every quilter ought to add this to their tool collection. I hung mine on the peg board. Easy peasy. If only it would vacuum and change the sheets.

https://www.amazon.com/Rheumatoid-Ar...e+reacher+tool