Old 11-07-2016, 05:10 PM
tailormaid

Default Need ergonomic cutting system for arthritis/fibermyalgia

I have been mostly a garment sewist for many years and recently decided to try some quilting. Ok, I am somewhat obsessed with it right now, and having so much fun planning and experimenting! I have done a couple of small wall-hangings that are paper-pieced, and one with invisible machine applique. So far, I have been drawing lines on the fabric and using a scissors to cut pieces. I have an Accuquilt Go that my husband got for me a couple of years ago with a few dies that came with it, but am unable to crank the handle due to arthritis/fibermyalgia in my hands, arms, shoulders, back, etc. I have a few different styles of rotary cutters and a couple of Olfa frosted rulers from years ago, but now find it very painful to hold the rulers down. I would love to know your advice about what cutting system you think might work for me.

So far, I have been considering the Go Electric, the Creative Grid Stripology/June Tailor Shape Cut, and the Alto QuiltCut 2. I live in a small 2 bedroom condo, so space is an issue. Initially, I thought about the Go Electric, but the expense, limitation of the dies available, and space to store it and the dies are questions for me. Also, I am dreaming about applique projects that would not correspond to the Accuquilt dies, which are also expensive. I've thought about buying the Go Electric and strip dies, but am not even sure what sizes I would buy and then need, and how to store the huge dies. So, I am hesitating before buying more Accuquilt products.

The Creative Grid Stripology (or June Tailor version) might work, although I'm not sure how much pressure is needed to hold down the ruler and difficulty in guiding the rotary cutter with my arthritis/fibermyalgia issues.

I also saw some comments about the Alto QuiltCut2 where people with various ergonomic issues seemed happy, and one website mentioned that a woman with the use of one arm was able to use it by weighting down the ruler at one end. It sounded encouraging, although I realize that it would take a lot of space to keep set up.

Thanks for the help! I'm dreaming of quilt projects....Beth

Last edited by tailormaid; 11-07-2016 at 05:12 PM.