View Single Post
Old 11-08-2016, 06:30 AM
SewingSew

Yours is the prettiest Christmas Cactus that I have ever seen. The color of your blooms are beautiful. Throughout my adult life, on and off, I have owned a gazillion houseplants, including Christmas Cactuses. I have heard of putting 2 teaspoons of Castor Oil on them in October to get them to bloom. I have heard that pouring cofffee or tea on them (hold the cream and sugar) will encourage blooms. They supposedly like Rhododendron food. What I know for sure is that they like a pot that causes them to be a little root bound, and if you want them to bloom, you need to create a situation that will promote dormancy. The soil needs to be slightly dry (no moisture below 1 inch of the top surface of the soil). It needs to be kept in a dark room that is on the cooler side (about 55 degrees). Once you see buds, then move it out of the darkness and into a sunlit room (but never into direct sunlight or it will become droopy). I think that everyone who owns a Christmas Cactus wishes it would bloom as profusely as this plant! You definitely worked some kind of magic to cause it to be this healthy!