Thread: quilt idea
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2016, 09:04 AM
sherian

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
My sister turned to her sewing machine to make extra money and to save her sanity when she became 24/7 caregiver to her husband. This was in a town of about 350 people. She would sew or repair anything for anyone. And because she could not 'get out' for social contact, she opened her home to anyone who wanted to learn to sew or quilt. Over the years the group dynamics have changed considerably, with more young and newer residents mixing with the seniors and original members, but they still meet at her home once a week except for summer. They still make one communal quilt a year that is donated for raffle with the proceeds going to a local charity or Home. Last year they organized working bees and made over 200 dresses for little girls in Africa--donating their own fabric. This year they are making toques and hats for children in First Nation reserve schools in Northern Saskatchewan. These will be combined with purchased mitts and gloves as well as any donated coats.

I have always said that my sister should be Mayor of her small town because over the last decade+, she has done more to bring the people of her community together and to further harmony, than any other person I know.

OK off my soap box, but just wanted to say--you could do something similar, even if it is only one or two other people to start. If we all said "It's a good idea but I can't do it." nothing would ever be started or changed.
I have been making people things and giving them to friends, nursing home, church. To whoever I see maybe a great friend, sick, etc. After 5 years or so I am getting people when I am out or by phone, email etc. Even churches, nursing homes etc. They come up and say are you the one that makes this or that - I want, mom, my dad, grandkids or I want a blanket with grandchild names embroidery on it and give me what colors, etc, for it. It has become to much and cost is out of range now. Oh well I have enjoyed it, but I really find it cuts me off from people now. I hope this does not sounds bad.