Thread: quilt idea
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2016, 11:38 AM
letawellman

For some of us, other responsibilities limit our free time.
I have a full-time job, with an hour-long commute, am active in my church, and have a small farm. It's hard for me to commit to something beyond all that, but I do have a longarm group that meets every other month. I love it, the ladies come from all over the state, and I always come away with new knowledge. Since it's only every other month, I don't feel as pressured as I would with a monthly guild.

The UFO group here on the Quilting Board is another "group" that I do not feel any pressure from, just a great bunch of "cheerleaders" that encourage me constantly, and there is no criticism if I don't post for a couple of days or even more.

Once I retire, I may participate in more of the area guilds - two of my area quilt shops have "sit and sews" one day a week, where you can come and bring ANY kind of handwork - knit, crochet, cross-stitch, or quilting - and just get with new people and get out of the house. And who knows, I may start something myself with my tiny church after retirement.

If you're really just hungering for some interaction with other people, reach out to your local elementary school and do a class on quilting. The subject covers SO many things - American History, home economics (or whatever they call it now), Arts and Crafts, recycling, math, and even community outreach (the class can make a few baby quilts and donate to a needy cause). The teacher will LOVE having someone else teach for awhile, the kids will love the "new teacher", and whoever you donate to will also love having a baby quilt for their little one. And teaching this to little kids (3rd grade is just about the perfect age) means that your audience will not be at all critical of your teaching skills.