Old 11-18-2016, 04:53 PM
givio

Such a pleasure to work on this quilt top! The hand sewn seams in the center block are superb! The little red stars in the 2nd round are made of diamonds, like the center was, and are machine sewn with exquisite Y-seams!

I thought on my monitor that the flying geese were black, but when I got the quilt top in person, I saw they were a navy and black print. Such a interesting addition-- so I went with a navy and black print for the outer triangles. The 3rd round used the Cranston crazy patch fabric, in which I recognized some of the companion prints that must have been produced near the same time. I know I used some in the 70's or so, and looked high and low (literally) for the beige floral print that I knew I had. But! I couldn't find it, which shows my lack of organization. :-p

I used red and black prints to reflect the red/black center, and added gray to the mix. The golden color print of the inner triangles was fabric that came with the quilt top, and I thought I should use it in this round, rather than not, because that would leave it only in the last round. Didn't want it mailed around and around for no reason! lol

I've used the same pattern as the first 4th round quilt top I sewed, which sort of seemed like cheating... but I changed the 9-patch to a different pattern, and did the corners differently with points, to sort of reflect the star shapes.

I used 19 prints to reflect the scrappiness of the crazy patch print, several Ginny Beyer ones that are my favorite types of fabric. Wish this top was mine! :-)
Attached Thumbnails gracefulann-4th-round-sewn-givio.jpg