View Single Post
Old 11-20-2016, 08:28 AM
Friday1961

Default Union Jack mistake.....

These are Union Jack blocks I've been making for a quilt for my Irish DIL. Yes, she's Irish, but she loves the Union Jack.....and the UK.

The four quadrants of each block are paper pieced, something I'd never done before but which I discovered are pretty cool and easy to do. This photo shows a layout which I did not ultimately use, but had I looked more closely at this early picture, I would have caught the error before I sewed the sashing between blocks and rows and sewed the four rows together.....unfortunately, I didn't, and I had assembled the entire top (sans a final color border) before I saw it.

Thank goodness I did take one final close look at each block, and, to my surprise and horror, saw the mistake. I was able to take out that quadrant, fix it, and put it all back together, uttering a few choice words while doing it!

Can you see my error? Hint: it's close!

I find it astonishing how many times I overlooked this. And I had a chart that I consulted each time I put a block together, too. This is known as getting too close to your work....a problem for many quiltmaker's, I suspect.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]562492[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscn0096-800x600-.jpg