Thread: So confused
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2016, 01:17 PM
bearisgray
Power Poster

I have attached some drawings that might help make sense.

The triangles will have "ears" that stick out when you put the long side of the triangle against the square. In fact, they should stick out 3/8" on each side.

The edge of the diagonal should be 3/4 inch longer than the edge of the squares.

Size to cut squares that will be cut into triangles:

If making quarter square triangles from the square: first square cut size plus 3/4 inch
(Example: If center square is cut at 4-1/2 inches, the square to be cut into QST should be cut 5-1/4 inches._

If making half square triangles from a square: First square cut size plus 3/8 inch.
(Example: If center square is cut at 4-1/2 inches, the square to be cut into HST should be cut 4-7/8 inches.

I put the first two triangles "behind/below" the square for the first two. I like to make sure that the "ears" stick out evenly on each side.

It is important to press the seams so there are no pleats on the front. I think I have pressed them either towards the center square or away from the center square - depending on whether I want the center to appear recessed or more prominent. Away from the center when I want the center to look recessed - towards the center when I want the center to "bulge."

Some people press all seams open.

Some people might trim the ears off the first two triangles sewn on at this point.

I then sew the other two triangles on to the square - so the order I use is top, bottom - then left and right.

What was hard for me to get used to was the idea of the "ears" on the triangles sticking out.

Many people cut the squares that are to be cut into triangles about 1/8 inch larger and trim down the finished units. I still do this - I only trim off a couple of threads, but if I cut "exactly" - I almost always end up with a skimpy unit.

I "think" my dimensions are correct - but if wrong - please help us all out with the corrections!
Attached Thumbnails square-square-3.jpg   square-square-2.jpg  

Last edited by bearisgray; 11-22-2016 at 01:36 PM.