Old 11-25-2016, 03:28 PM
K-Roll

Post backing fabric, jumping the gun, and color question....

I was going to join VQW since I am trying to finish my blocks this weekend - and then thought I'd make a new post, seeking advice. I am a new quilter - this quilt top will be my first one - traditional Tumbling Blocks. I am posting the pics first, close up of blocks, and then the circle arrangement I think I will use -- it's got a lot of blocks to go, but you can see from the center how the rest will end up.

Questions:
1---since it is Black Friday, Small Biz Saturday, (Sacred Sunday), and Cyber Monday this week, wouldn't it be a good time to order backing fabric - as in, frugal, best price etc.?

2---even if I'm not finished with the top? am I jumping the gun since it's not fully assembled yet? Should I wait to finish my quilt and then think about it?

3---Since it is THE blandest, most unexciting quilt ever made, I've been describing it as 'restful' since the fabrics are so boring (I wanted to use fabric I had) & one fabric even looks like hospital gown stuff...anyway, question is, should I make an excitingly colored back, or should I make it bland and sleepy like the front? I don't want the recipient (whoever he/she ends up being) to hate the front and only use the back or 'pretty' side...so should I pick an equally bland fabric? I'm afraid it will look stupid if the back is so much more attractive than the front. I saw some pretty darn colorful backing fabrics!

I don't want to be jinxing its completion, I'm a slow worker. Thanks for looking and your always great input everyone.
Attached Thumbnails 20161111_124139.jpg   20161111_123929.jpg  

Last edited by K-Roll; 11-25-2016 at 03:30 PM.