Old 11-26-2016, 11:57 AM
CanoePam

When I was looking for a quilting machine, I automatically assumed I needed to get a long arm. I was lucky enough to live very close to the Nolting factory, and I went there to talk to them. They let me just play on all their sample machines to see what I liked best, a good two hours. I was shocked to find out I don't like to long arm! The handles made me feel disconnected from the fabric, and I missed the tactile experience of holding the fabric in my hands. I also found out I don't like to stand while quilting. They got me a wonderful stool, adjusted the frame so I could use it. It still didn't feel right. I was so disappointed, but very, very happy I had tried it out first (does that make any sense?). I e entially discovered sit down machines, and that is what I ended up with. It satisfies my need to tactile fabric and is still much easier to use then a domestic.

Summary: Definitely find someplace to try a long arm before buying. I think the certification class would be a great way to find out what you do and do not like.

Pam