View Single Post
Old 11-26-2016, 08:25 PM
Feather3

Originally Posted by Shannon2009 View Post
Help! I would like to hang my collection of doll/miniature quilts. My circa 1923 plaster walls spall and crack when driving small brads so I need to devise some sort of clever arrangement for hanging the 23 little guys. Any ideas? I did search for hanging ideas on the board but was unsuccessfull. Tia -
My house was built in 1914. You can NOT hammer a nail in a lath & plaster (often horse hair plaster) wall. The wall will crumble. You must use a drill & screws. Drill on a slight downward angle.

Command hooks won't work either, as they may pull off the plaster skim coat. If the plaster wall was papered & then was painted over it will pull off when you remove the command hook, often taking the skim coat with it. Ask me how I know! Some of these old houses have been papered many times layer after layer on top of each other & then painted over many times too. UGHH!

I would suggest drilling the holes & then use "eye screws". IF the plaster broke a way a little use a washer to cover the area. You can paint the washer. You could use picture frame wire & little clothespins to hang your tiny quilts.

Another option would be to hang small mini wood shelves & attach an eye screw to the underside of each one, then run your wire between them to hang your quilts.