View Single Post
Old 11-30-2016, 09:33 PM
SarahBethie

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
While I agree with most others that the patterns you have initially chosen can be challenging, I'm also of the belief that you should make something you like! Out of those 2, I would probably start with the triangle one despite the bias edges - starch is your friend! Unless you have a garment construction background the curves on the other quilt might be more of a challenge than you are currently ready.
Truth be told, I had no interest in quilting until I came upon her designs. I can't explain it. The aesthetic is definitely appealing, but there's something else. I just like them. And I could see them in my home. I think that's important.

I also agree with starting with a baby or lap-sized quilt to start so as to not be overwhelmed with sheer size of your project.
I believe the smaller size will be much easier to navigate.

Personally, I would not recommend starting with pre-cuts as they can have their own set of challenges in addition to not gaining the learning/experience of cutting fabric in general. Then again, I'm just not a fan of pre-cuts but have used them when expedient. I prefer yardage and cutting to size as needed.
I picked up several Omnigrip rulers last week of various sizes (both small and large) along with 3 Olfa rotary cutters. I already had a very large cutting mat. The rulers felt quite solid and that was the selling point. They were on sale and I had a $50 coupon. It was quite a deal.

Thank you for the encouraging words.