View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 02:03 PM
SarahBethie

Originally Posted by pal View Post
I suggest that you try (3) six or nine patches and sew them together to make a table runner (using klswift's above method) Finish it completely and use it on your kitchen table so that you have to move it to eat. This ensures that you'll have to look at it every day (clever, right?) You will have chosen fabrics that you thought "went together" -
tried out the rotary cutter with simple lines, attempted 1/4" seams and matching corners and completed your first quilting project without too much trauma.
That's the beauty of asking questions. You get unexpected answers. I always assumed that the table runners were simply blocks combined. That's how they appeared in the books. Instructions aside of course.

Your suggestion about seeing the item every day is very apropos. I'm visually astute, although that isn't my method of learning. I would notice the imperfections and other nuances that an untrained eye might miss. Not because I'm expert. I've gleaned that from art and photography. It's not the lack of experience that's really the culprit. It's the omission of visualization. I can see other things in my mind quite clearly. But that hasn't happened with quilting as of yet. I don't see it right now. And for me that's half the battle.

But I will. I'm still getting my head around the techniques. It will come together. Thank you. That's just what I needed to hear.