View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 02:51 PM
Suziuki

I have done craft shows for about 25 years, when I first started there were not many stalls and a lot of people coming through the door, then the economy started to dive and there were a lot of stalls and very few people coming through the door. I have done large three day fairs and smaller country style markets and have found you get a lot of stalls selling what ever the craft trend is at the time. I have tried to do something different or something that not many people are prepared to make. For 16 years I did dolls clothes to suit the 11 1/2" Fashion Doll (i.e. Barbie etc.)and did very well, then did a big weekend Christmas Market $500 stall fee and didn't cover cost. Time to move on from dolls clothes, tried handbags, didn't last long, wheat bags did well for a very long time but then ran out of motivation to make them, then I got hooked on Quilts, but people didn't want to pay the prices. So to use up my very large stash I started making Mug Rugs, Mug Cozies, Toilet Roll Covers, Wine Glass Coasters that fit over the base of the wine glass (I got hooked on making these and at this stage have made over 700, yes 700 of them), Tissue pack holders, Pencil Rolls (which I seem to sell more of as Crochet Hook Holders) Cable Keepers, Mobile Phone Rests, IPad Pillows, Tummy Time Quilts, Pet Quilts, Table Runners and Table Centers. The smaller items also used up a lot of the wadding left over from making quilts. I started out with only a few of the items and each month introduced another item to the point that people would come to my stall and ask "What have you got new this month?" so now I have to book a double stall just to be able to display all the different things I make and it seems to be working for me as I am doing quite well this year when most are struggling. I have struggled at odd times but keep doing the markets because of the friendships I have built up with the other stall holders and for the most part they are willing to share information. Because I make things that are a little different to most other stall holders I now get people coming to my stall with a sample and ask me to make more of them in a specific color, or show me a picture and asking me to make one.
Just a quick note, I have hardly made a dent in my stash but I have managed to use up all the scrap wadding.
Hope everyone has a great Christmas and a prosperous 2017.