Old 12-03-2016, 05:46 PM
letawellman

Welcome back! Like JBJ, I'm also in Upstate SC.

I have three Husqvarna Viking machines - Designer1, QuiltDesigner, and the MegaQuilter 18x8, so I have to say I LOVE Viking products. I'm fortunate to have 2 different shops to take my machines to if necessary, so PaperPrincess is absolutely correct, be sure that you have a service center within a reasonable driving distance.

With that said, you also need to decide just what you want to do with the machine. Are you planning on just piecing, or are you also going to quilt on it? If you decide to quilt on it, definitely go with the largest throat space you can find. Many of the machines that do both sewing and embroidery have a good bit larger throat/harp space, and you may find later one that you want to do a little embroidery to complement your quilting.

I would also recommend that you "test drive" the machine as well. And finally, if you are buying from a store/dealer, be sure they offer classes on both the use and care of your machine. When you buy from an individual, you won't have any of that kind of information, and you may not even have a user manual. If you're not technical-minded or mechanically-inclined, I would definitely only buy from a reputable dealer.

Good luck with your decision, and again, welcome back to the wonderful world of quilting!!