View Single Post
Old 12-04-2016, 10:42 AM
madamekelly

My favorite adult Christmas was the year I had a brain bleed on December 5th, and could not get around enough to even consider putting up decorations. My DDs were 7 and twelve and I was a widow so there was no one to take up my part of the job as supervisor, and because of what I had been through, we were just going to skip all of the mess (and fun) of decorating. On December twentieth, my BFF's husband took us out to dinner, just him and us, which was an unusual thing for him to do, but very sweet just the same. He took us way across the city to a funny little mom and pop restaurant since he knew that was my preference. We were gone nearly three hours, and when we got home, we found an amazing surprise. My BFF and her five sisters had gone to the local dime store and bought every silly decoration they had, and had gone ahead and decorated our home for Christmas! They turned all the light switches into 'gifts' with wrapping paper and ribbons, all the wall pictures were wrapped too. It was so over the top that we now call it "The year Christmas threw up in our house". Every tacky, gaudy, Christmas decoration the dime store had was in our living room, with "Grandma got run over by a reindeer" (it was the year that it came out) playing on the cassette player. I loved it! Here we are 28 years later, and I still use some of those tacky things in memory of the loving Christmas my BFF gave me. It was also the last year I had a real tree, I miss the smell of the real trees though.

Last edited by madamekelly; 12-04-2016 at 10:46 AM.