View Single Post
Old 12-05-2016, 06:40 AM
lovelyl

You have received some great advice here! I wrote and received several LSTA grants when I was a school librarian and also wrote some grants for the school's special needs programs. My best advice is to be prepared to explain your vision clearly to the grant writer. Many teachers came to me to write a grant for "money for their classrooms". Just to get money is not a reason to write a grant. The reason has to be that you see a very distinct need and cannot fulfill that need without grant money for equipment, etc. I know that sounds like the same thing, but it isn't. You need to be able to get the grant writer to see your need and your vision for the solution in a way that will cause him/her to be excited about your vision also. Then he/she will be able to translate your need and vision into a solid grant proposal. The people who award the grants can tell if there is a legitimate need or if someone just "wants some extra money". Does that make any sense?
If a person couldn't explain their need/vision adequately, I didn't write the grant for them because I knew I couldn't write a solid enough proposal.