View Single Post
Old 12-10-2016, 04:33 PM
Janice McC

Default Important. Everyone read please.

This is firm: One hundred percent cotton ONLY.

Broadcloths can be made from multiple materials including cotton, cotton/poly, poly, wool, silk...you get the idea. The only fiber we use here is cotton.

This topic has caused some consternation because there is a perception among some boomers that broadcloth can be thin and cheap, and allowing it in opens the door to other low quality fabrics. And that's a valid concern. While some broadcloths are flimsy they can also be heavier and better quality. According to what I read today, both Kona cotton and Bella ARE cotton broadcloths. Very few of you would probably object to Kona being used in the boom but most of us will object if what we receive in our blocks is lightweight, whether it is broadcloth or not. Therefore, while I haven't mentioned this in recent booms, you are expected to use quality fabrics. I'm not talking about $20 a yard quilting fabric, but I would hope you would not use a flimsy material you find and buy simply because it's on sale for pennies a yard. If the fabric you use is decent quality, no problem. But if it's lightweight enough to see through and ready to unravel, it's not the choice for use in blocks you make for others. What you make for yourself is up to you, but I encourage you to use quality materials in this boom.

That at being the case, I feel 100 percent cotton broadcloth with a respectable hand, weight and density should be an acceptable fabric for the swap. If you are pulling from your stash to use in blocks for others and do not know the fiber content of your fabric, don't use it for the purposes of this swap. Unless I hear something compelling to contradict the info I've just posted, this is the final word on this subject.

Moving on.

Originally Posted by jlt37869 View Post
The "broadcloth" at my Hobby Lobby is NOT 100% cotton, but rather a blend 65% poly/35% cotton. It's the same stuff as on their website:

http://www.hobbylobby.com/Fabric-Sew...Fabric/p/45284

I thought the boom was 100% cotton, correct? If not, please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited by Janice McC; 12-10-2016 at 04:48 PM.