Thread: Sewing clothes
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2016, 05:00 AM
romanojg

I made my first dress in home ec when I was in the 9th grade. I made some clothes after that and large block quilts. About 16 yrs ago I got back into quilting after years of making close to nothing. I actually started learning the more complicated blocks and loved it. Then I decided to go back to college, get a degree and a job. Then about 7 years ago I took up quilting again. My first class was in a shop that emb machines, so that started my love of embroidery. I'm just now getting back into garment making. I went to a retreat in Oct and took classes with a famous and favorite teacher and made two tops and a jacket and from another teacher a purse, something else that I love to do. Now I'm trying to make the grandkids leggings, scarves and hats for Christmas. I couldn't find the patterns for the leggings so I went to the thrift store and got some that were in the right size and made my own patterns. Its been a trial and error getting them to work. Not sure how many I'll get done before Christmas but I'm learning as I go. Plus I'm making part of them on the serger, which I love. Fabric, notions and all have changed in the 20 yrs its been since I made clothes. I'm trying to perfect my techniques on using knits, its a slow process but I'm getting some good results along with the trial and errors.