Old 12-11-2016, 03:16 PM
Jan in VA

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
Default Well, it won't be done for Christmas morning.

I'm just sick. I've been making a larger version of the quilt pictured below for my daughter in California for Christmas. (Can't remember where I saw this one, may even have been at my own guild, easy to copy. I also made it for our guild's Community Quilts program.) Of course, I have to mail it in order to have it there on time; and therein lies the problem. I'll never make the deadline!

I mentioned before that this quilt has given me no end of picky problems, even though I've made it before -- not even 6 months ago. It's like my skill set just flew away one night. This afternoon, after hand basting all last evening (very sore hands keep me awake much of last night) and almost finishing with that part, I unclamped it all from the table, turned it over, and discovered that the backing was all lumpy and rather loose looking. AND one side of the backing was about an inch short of the edge of the top!! How in the world.....

I was so disgusted, but I cut another strip of backing -- thank goodness I had enough extra fabric -- and sewed it on, going slowly and fighting the bulk of the basted quilt as I did it. But I saw the end also has really close-to-not-enough-backing; and now I feel like I have to address that, too. Sigh

So, after consulting with my DD about that fact she won't get her gift by "the day", I've taken a deep breath and decided to remove all the basting. Boy, is that gonna hurt; probably gonna need a spiked eggnog afterward, too. Then I'll have to rethink how I want to baste it the next time.

It's been a while since I tried glue basting and I wasn't all that happy with how I did it then. I'd love to hear some pointers from those experts who do it often and will encourage me.

Thanks.

Jan iin VA

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-11-2016 at 06:05 PM. Reason: remove copyright image, should have used link