Old 12-12-2016, 11:42 AM
madamekelly

For glue basting, I lay out the backing, wrong side up, (on top of a thick plastic sheet I bought at Walmart by the yard) I bought a gallon of Elmers school glue, so I transfer some to a picnic mustard bottle to make squeezing easier. I swirl glue all over trying to keep my lines around five inches apart. Carefully lay the center of the batting over the top and smooth. I again swirl glue on the batting, keeping my lines near five inches apart. I lay the top right side up and smooth. Leave in place to dry. Once it is dry (about 24 hours for safety) I can then slide it around to glue baste the sections that were not glued the first time. I have found this to be the easiest way to glue baste since I do not move the quilt while wet, I do not get puckers or tucks on the backing. DH calls the nights the table is drying a quilt, "serve yourself nights" and we eat on TV trays. My dining room table is 53" square so I can glue baste all but the largest of quilts in one pass. I did try spray basting, but the overspray mess was more than I want to clean up.

*(Just a quick note, before I start to glue baste, I find the center of the backing, batting, and top. On the backing I put a safety pin in the wrong side of the backing, one on the right side of batting, and one on the front of the top, so I can center each one as I stack them removing the safety pins as I go.)

Last edited by madamekelly; 12-12-2016 at 11:47 AM.