View Single Post
Old 12-14-2016, 06:03 AM
Grandma Mary

My story is about a pillowcase, not a quilt. Our elderly neighbors were like our parents living right next door, and when the wife fell and broke her hip, she ended up in rehab right after Thanksgiving. So, my grandson and I made her a beautiful Christmas pillowcase with Robert Kauffman's metallic Christmas ornament fabric to help perk up her room at the facility. We put it on her pillow right away and she was thrilled. Soon after that I came down with a terrible flu that hung on for weeks, so when she returned home, I didn't dare go to see her for fear of spreading the virus. She had a heart condition, and her health went down quickly, until one day she passed away, quietly in her bed. Her daughter called and asked if we wanted to come by and say our goodbyes. As we walked into the house her daughter warned me that she was on her pillowcase, so I wouldn't be shocked, as it was in in early spring. I was amazed when she told me that her mom wouldn't let them take her pillowcase off...only to wash it and put it right back on! Apparently she was so in love with it, she wouldn't part from it! Later, during her funeral I discovered that the pillowcase was still holding her at her eternal rest! I still miss her! I was never so touched by the effect such a simple, effortless, tiny gift could mean so much to someone! You just never know!