Thread: Art quilts?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2010, 01:13 PM
ckcowl
Power Poster

it is difficult to decide how much to charge for your work, and it applies to all art forms not just quilting...my mom is an artist, (painter) she tells a story all the time about the time she took a couple paintings into a gallery to try to place them...the owner asked her how much she wanted for them, one of them she told him $500 thinking that that was a HUGE price and he would probably tell her she was dreaming...turned out, he wouldn't accept the pieces because they were so (UNDER-PRICED) he told her she should be asking a minimum of $3700 for the one in question...she was excited and said..."i would happily accept $3700 for it" he told her that since she did not believe her work was good enough for more than $500 she needed to go home, when she felt her work was up to their standards they would talk again...she never went back, but she did start making alot more money for her work...she gets after me frequently for selling too (cheap) if you really are not sure...spend the $$ to have a quilt appraised one day. i have one i have about $300 into, plus time of course..was ready to sell it for $600...had it appraised...it appraised at $3400...who woulda guessed ?