View Single Post
Old 12-15-2016, 08:14 PM
SewingSew

When we lived in Ohio, we lived in suburbia, and the driveway was manageble, so we usually kept it shoveled like you. When we lived in Massachusetts, we had 2 driveways and at least one was kept shoveled. In Maine, we lived in the city, and when the city plowed, they created a mountain of snow at the edge of our driveway, and the only way to get in and out of the driveway in the winter was to constantly shovel in conjunction with the plow guys. Now we live in New Hampshire in a mountainous area in the woods and our house is on a hill. We have a plow guy that comes, but we have 4 cars, sometimes 5, and it's an ongoing dance all winter long just moving the cars around and shoveling around where the plow guy missed. And if that weren't enough, we have a long front porch and two front doors and walkways, and then there is the back door and the back porch. We shovel the high traffic areas and put down sand, but it is a huge chore. Our main goal is to prevent accidents and maintain access in and out of the driveway. Orangeroom, if you lived in my house, you would have to quit your job just to be the shoveler that kept everything tidy all the time, because it's nearly impossible. I do admit that I welcome any help that mother nature gives. But if the snow melts, when the slush refreezes, we have a virtual ice skating rink in the driveway, and that can be a small nightmare. However, when it snows here, my yard is like a winter wonderland it is so beautiful! From the perspective of a kid who grew up in the south, I am still in awe of the winter in New England.