View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 03:35 AM
sshell

Default Need ideas for a "travel"quilt

Originally Posted by Sleepy Hollow View Post
I want to make a quilt for my son. I'll probably do a very basic one for the first quilt, just so he has one (he's 19), but then I want to make a quilt that ties back to our travels together.

Some are a little "obvious" (I have Eiffel Tower fabric for France, and will piece a shamrock for Ireland), but when you think of these countries, what do you think of?

England
Ireland
Scotland (thistle?)
Wales (griffin?)
Italy (a gladiator? We went to gladiator school when we were there)
France (Eiffel Tower, have some fabric already)
Germany
Switzerland
Austria
Poland
Czech Republic
Belgium
The Netherlands

I'm going to need to make a lot of blocks to make a quilt, so all ideas are appreciated! Bonus if you can post a link to a block pattern or example.

I may also use some t-shirts that we bought along the way (one has "Stonehenge Rocks!").
I have made several quilts from the pattern "Quick Trip Quilts". by Eleanor Burns. Whenever I visits a new location now I try to buy fabrics that remind me of that area. But I also have made quilts for my sons that will remind them of their home state. Example: dogwoods, cardinals, NASCAR, Virginia Tech. (Can you guess they grew up in south side Va). These quilts go together quickly and are quite lovely.