Old 12-16-2016, 07:30 AM
Macybaby

I somehow knocked the timing off with my HQ - happened when we took it off the carriage to add the robotics.

DH loosened the screw holding the needle bar, and moved it until the eye of the needle was lining up correctly with the hook, and tightened it back down. Fixed that problem

I was also plagued with tension problems from the start. I bought the digital tension readout and replaced my tension unit. With that on there, I realized I was not turning the tension near enough when I was trying to adjust it, and often turning the wrong way. With the digital readout, I know when I've got from 500 to 515 (and it's like 3 turns) and also that if I want it tighter, I've gone the correct way.

And when taking a class, I realized I had the quilt too tight. My HQ likes it rather loose, so I can grab a finger to the first knuckle. If I have the quilt snug, then loosen the front rail two -three clicks, that is where the machine likes it. If it's not as loose as the machine likes it, either front to back or side to side, I will have tension problems. I did one quilt that I had it too snug side to side, and all the stitching except those running directly side to side looked fine. Those going that one direction had the top thread pulled to the bottom.

I also use the fingernail trick - run your nail along the thread underneath, and if the top thread is being pulled to the back, you'll feel a "click-click" as your fingernail goes over it. I also bought an endoscope camera for my phone, and that shows up the back side stitching quite well - and cost under $20 (you do need smart phone that can run it - it does not work on my husband's phone).

There was a time I was feeling I'd made a big mistake buying my machine, as I had no problems like this with my Bailey. But now I'm a lot happier with it.

Last edited by Macybaby; 12-16-2016 at 07:32 AM.