Old 12-26-2016, 06:06 AM
joe'smom

Originally Posted by Pam H View Post
Has anyone else had a problem with their tri-recs blocks being a bit on the small side? I thought I had my scant quarter inch seam scant enough when I started but something must have changed. I keep moving that need needle over. Normally I sew at 3.8 for my scant and with these I am doing 4.4.
I was watching a quilt in a day show the other day and she was using her triangle in a square rulers. That got me to thinking that I just might have bought a pattern with those rulers a few years ago in Houston when I saw her. Sure enough I have them! Too bad I have already cut out all my triangles that I need for both of those clues. Eleanor Burns cuts hers out oversized and them trims them down (which is a pain) but at least they wouldn't be too small.
Yes, I had this problem, too. I think about half of them came out right, and the other half were just shy of the width either at the top or the bottom. I wondered if it might be because I was cutting four layers at a time. It seems these have to be really exact with the placement of the side pieces, and I could see that my notch had quite a bit of variation to it. So I will have to do some fudging when it comes time to incorporate these units.

I had the overwhelming urge to see what the quilt will look like in the alternate colorway I was considering before being seduced by Bonnie's photos of lavender fields and sunsets. So I have been working this week on cutting a second version of the mystery units. Clue #1 will be scrappy, and the rest will be constants. I think I should get to my original clue #5s today or tomorrow.